A story of the florentine crafts that begins in 1945 ...
In 1945, after the liberation of Florence, Renzo Salvadori, fifteen at the time,
was hired at a mechanical workshop, located in the city center of Florence,
in an alley near the Piazza della Signoria, called Chiasso del Buco. Here he
began his career as a lathe machine specialist, tackling an old turret lathe.
It starts almost by accident in this workshop at Chiasso del Buco in Florence
Renzo’s passion for pens. One day he asks his principal permission to remain
at work after hours and use equipment to repair an old safety pen of his father’s.
It is an ebonite pen with gold overlay that his father had received as a gift
in his youth and will not take ink any longer: the pen now falls into Renzo’s
hands for an attempt at servicing the repair. Renzo Salvadori is intrigued by
its operation and finds himself unexpectedly familiar with writing instruments.
Not only he returns his father’s heart fountain pen fully working, but he starts
getting an interest into second hand pens, which he repairs and in some cases
rebuilds almost entirely with parts self-produced on the lathe. From this point
to becoming known by the dealers in town for his ability to patch up even the
most difficult cases, the step is short. But pens for Renzo still remain a filler. He equipped his garage - located in via del Caparra, Florence, as a real miniature
laboratory, but his work keeps him busy all day (at mechanical workshops in
the beginning; as director of the technical dep. of the public transportation
company of Florence, in the ‘60s).
Only in 1973 Renzo Salvadori will be able to establish in Florence the family
business, eventually devoting all his efforts to his great love - fountain pens.
It has been therefore a little less than 50 years that, thanks to the skill and
ability of the group of florentine artisans formed by Renzo Salvadori and his
family, Stipula writing instruments are entirely manufactured in the laboratory
located in Florence. The name “Stipula” alludes to the straw that the ancient
Romans were used to breaking as a sign of acceptance of an obligation.
Stipula is thus synonymous with commitment to creating the best of the best.
Faithful to the traditions of the Florentine craftsmen, Stipula has succeeded in
uniting ancient techniques with modern technology to create products of superb
workmanship. Excellence in engineering and design, as well as a unique
production philosophy, make the Stipula pen a collector’s item, whose value
transcends the present to draw force and harmony from the past.
Photo on the left - 1945 CHIASSO DEL BUCO - FLORENCE
Chiasso del Buco, the small courtyard near the Signoria of Florence where Renzo Salvadori - founder of Stipula - a young boy just FIFTEEN YEARS OLD BEGAN IN 1945 TO WORK ON THE LATHE THE FIRST pieces for fountain pens.
Photo on the right -1946 THE YEARS OF ORATORY - FLORENCE
Renzo Salvadori around the age of fifteen in an image with the companions of the oratory of San Pietro in Varlungo, the neighbourhood of Florence which he came from (Renzo is the third from left in front row).
Photo on the left -1975 STIPULA WORKSHOP
A glimpse of Stipula’s workshop in the early 70s. Some of these young workers are still working at the Stipula production.